Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reads From the Beach Chair

Hey Y'all!

Well, it has been a while since I did a "Reads From the Beach Chair" post, so I thought I would do one today. Since it is spring break, I stocked up on library books last week, so I would always have a book to grab! Usually, to find books I like, I cruise the top 100 lists over on Barnes and Noble and Amazon. While I am searching, I have a tab open with my public library, Horry County Public Library, and then I look to see if they have the book I am looking for and if not, I request it. I currently have about 22 books here at home and another 15 coming my way on hold at the library. As you can tell, I LOVE to read! I have thought about getting an e-reader. But, my local library has not set up an e-lending program yet, so really it makes no sense right now for me to have one. I am sure I would love an e-reader, especially a NOOK, but with gas prices the way they are I just can't quite justify it right now. Also, I think it is really important to support our public libraries. So until my library comes to the 21st century, I am going to be reading old school!



One of the first books I couldn't wait to get a hold of and read was Friendship Bread, by Darien Gee. Y'all, this book is so great! It is all about how a Friendship Bread starter changed a town. I loved this book and could not put it down. It even spurred me on to make my own starter on Sunday. (More about that in tomorrow's post!) You really need to read this book if you enjoy baking or reading about how folks can change their lives, especially after devastating events. It is such a good read! Darien has even set up a website called The Friendship Bread Kitchen where they post a new recipe for Amish Friendship Bread each day. The mango blueberry loaf is on my list as soon as I can bake on Tuesday! The Friendship Bread Kitchen is also on Twitter, so give them a follow. I have enjoyed tweeting with them this week about my starter!

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of being in a book club at the school I was teaching at. Since I moved 6 years ago, I haven't found another book club. Hmmm... I am thinking I should start one! I have noticed in the magazine All For You, they do a book club once every few months. If you visit their bookclub page, you can see all of the books they have been reading. So far I have read Going in Cirlces (so good, it's all about Roller Derby!) and One Season of Sunshine (great beach read!) Luckily my library had the rest of them in, so I plan to read the rest of them over spring break. All For You magazine is also where I learned about The Friendship Bread book too!

The other book I have in my beach bag/suitcase is Water for Elephants. Because hello. The movie is coming out on Friday, and I am a big stickler about reading the book BEFORE I see the movie!

Finally, I started a book at the beach today called Knit in Comfort. Of course, I always have to have SOME knitting fiction around. I am not sure if I am going to like it, but I promise to stick it through until at least the 5th chapter!

Well, that's about it for today. Today I spent some time on the beach, so Paddington is not so happy with me right now! Let's hope a walk and some doggie ice cream will fix that! He has really enjoyed having me home these past few days. It's just a little taste of summer! We are going to hunker down tonight and watch Harry Potter- I was too dizzy to see in the theatre when it came out in November.
Tootles!
:) JKP

No comments: