Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hawaiian Chicken in My Belly.. Crockpot Style

Hey Y'all!

Well, here it is. The end of spring break. Sigh. I do have the Sunday blues just a wee bit tonight, but knowing we only have 35 school days left in the year kind of makes it just a little bit easier. However, I know one furry buddy that is going to have a temper tantrum when I leave to go to work tomorrow. And. I know he is just plotting to get me back for that bath I had to give him this afternoon too!

Thanks to Pinterest, I spent a good deal of this week trying out some new recipes! Crockpot friendly, of course! When I saw this Hawaiian Chicken recipe on a board, I just knew I had to make it! I love any chicken that has the word "jerk" or "Hawaiian" in it! Say those words to me and my mouth instantly starts to DROOL. The best jerk chicken I have ever had was in Key West, Florida. Seriously. It has been 8 years and I still dream about that chicken! Also, when you see all that you need to make this chicken dish, you will be AMAZED. Are you ready?? Are you sure? Get you pen and pencil ready. The ingredient list is LONG. NOT!!!

All you need to make this yummy dish is......


1 jar of Hawaiian Style Barbecue Sauce (I got mine at Target and it was delish!)
1 can of pineapple chunks (drained. I saved a wee bit of the juice to add back into the sauce at the end.) If you don't like "chunks" you can get the crushed pineapple too.
4 to 6 chicken breasts (as usual, mine were in the fridge)

Now. All you do is add the chicken to your crockpot, add the entire jar of barbecue sauce and then add the pineapple chunks. Set your crockpot on low for 6 hours... or if you were like me and chasing daylight.. and wanted dinner in your belly... I put mine on high for 3 and 1/2 hours. Woot.


Just throw it all in!


And it is cooking! It smells so good!!!

Now, you can opt to do this next step or not. It is entirely up to you. You can leave the breasts in and not shred them. I took mine out about an hour before they were scheduled to be done and I shredded them with a fork. That way, I could eat this as a sandwich or as a meal! :)


Shredding the chicken!



Now, place the shredded chicken back into the crockpot for another hour. Mix well with the sauce in the crockpot. At this point I added a wee bit of juice from the drained pineapple to make it juicier! I am glad I did!


Right before the chicken finishes, you can boil up some rice. I am not proud. I use the "Success Rice" method. This girl can burn rice in a pot in a hot minute. So. For the safety of my beloved cookware....I use the cheater's rice. :) It also comes in brown rice if you want to be really healthy. My tummy can not tolerate brown rice at the moment.. so I had to go with regular.



Add a side of your favorite veggie.... and VIOLA. You are instantly transported to Hawaii. Or. Your favorite vacation spot! Well. At least your tummy is!!!


YUMMY in my BELLY!


Also, do you know what I did this weekend? Besides scour my kitchen from top to bottom? The inside of my fridge is so shiny that you can see your reflection!

I brought out my Amish Friendship Bread starter out of my freezer. Oh. Yes. I. Did. In fact, I just finished baking up two loaves and my house smells so good. I needed some "comfort" to go back to school with this week! And, y'all know how JKP loves to bake!



Interested in some starter or some Amish Friendship Bread? Don't live near me and want to make your own? Visit The Friendship Bread Kitchen. There's tons of recipes! Also, READ THE BOOK! Friendship Bread. It's a great read! And. The main character's name is Julia. Enough said. It comes out in paperback May 1st! Or support your local library and check it out there!


Alrighty. I have school tomorrow. So I must go to bed. I've got to get back on schedule! Pitty Pat is already sound asleep. Or at least I think he is!

Tootles!
:) JKP

No comments: