Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sticks To Your Ribs!

Hey Y'all.....

Recently I had some blood work done by the good ol' doc and it seems that I have not escaped the curse of high cholesterol that runs rampant on both sides of my family. I am borderline at this time and I have to start behaving myself with what I put in my mouth. This presents a problem for me because all of the "good" food for a low cholesterol diet is stuff that I can't eat/digest because of my Crohn's Disease. I was reading a magazine article this week and in the article it suggested for a yummy low cholesterol breakfast make steel cut oats in a crockpot overnight to have yummy creamy oatmeal in the morning. I love oatmeal, I just never have time to make the "proper" kind! So last night I did the experiment.


1 cup McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats (it's expensive, but my favorite)
4 1/2 cups water
pinch of salt


Set the crockpot on low and let it cook for 8 hours overnight. I used my 2 quart cooker instead of my 6 quart cooker. The 6 quart is too big.


I woke up to the yummiest breakfast! I added a little bit of brown sugar and a little bit of milk to my oatmeal. It was just delicious! The best part is that this makes about 5 servings for me so I can have some more tomorrow! You can also add dried fruit to this while it is cooking too. It is important to note that you have to use the steel cut oats for this to work. The regular oats won't work as well in the crockpot. But for one cup of oats, I got about 5 cups of oatmeal.
And... it's sticks to your ribs on these cold mornings!
I am off to do some pre-birthday celebrating. I lost my mind and I am taking my kiddies on a field trip on Tuesday, which is my birthday. I better celebrate now, because on Tuesday, I will be worn out!
:) JKP

No comments: