Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pinteresting Lotion! :)

Hey Y'all!

I hope everyone has had a good weekend! I got a lot done around the house, like cleaning and laundry. I also got my walking in today... I wasn't up to it on Friday and Saturday. Saturday I spent the day checking out my favorite consignment and thrift stores and found a ton of bargains. I will be back with those! :)

One of my favorite things to do at the end of the day is to log onto Pinterest and see what my friends have pinned. I have been pretty lucky, most things I try from Pinterest have turned out well for me. I have tried many craft and recipes from the site and have been pretty pleased. So when I saw a recipe for lotion, I was very hesitant. I am not a lotion girl. But. I have had to learn to be one. My skin is a mess from my Crohn's and it seems like I am in a constant battle with Eczema these days. I love smell good body sprays, but lotion and I are love/hate. I have had a lot of success with using Cetaphil and it has improved my legs and arms tremendously. But, my feet and hands have suffered. I wash my hands about 100 times a day. The Cetaphil works well for the Eczema, but no so much for dry, cracked skin. So when I came across a recipe for this lotion.. I thought I would give it a try. If it didn't work for me, I knew I could share it with my teammates at school!

The nice thing about this lotion is that 1) it is homemade and 2) it is not expensive to make. I spent more on the containers to put the lotion in than I did on the basic ingredients for the lotion.

To make Pinteresting Lotion you will need:


1 8 oz container of Vitamin E Cream. You can find this at Dollar General or Family Dollar. This is located with the skin care, not with the lotions. I paid $2 for the Family Dollar brand.

1 8 oz container of Vaseline. I paid $1.50 for the Family Dollar brand.

1 16 oz (or close to it) container of Baby Lotion. I used the Food Lion brand at it was $1.75.



Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl. I did not use the bowl that goes with my Kitchen Aid. I was a little leery with the Vaseline  I didn't want to take a chance that it would ruin my bowl. So I just used a regular mixing bowl with my paddle blade on my Kitchen Aid. It worked just fine. And. The lotion mixture didn't hurt the regular mixing bowl at all. But. I was making lotion, not food so another mixing bowl worked just fine!


I let the mixer mix about 4 minutes. You want the lotion to resemble frosting. Once it resembles frosting, use a spoon or spatula and place a small serving of lotion in an air tight container. I used the small Ziploc snack sized containers. That way I can leave a lotion by all of my sinks that I use when I wash my hands. I placed a bigger container by my bed to use at night on my feet.





I just made this a few hours ago and then I took my shower. I placed the lotion on my feet and then covered them with socks. My feet feel divine. My hands feel great too. Several bloggers have mentioned that they have placed the lotion on their Crow's Feet at night and they have noticed improvement there too. I will just take the soft hands and feet!

So this lotion gets a definite thumbs up from me. It really feels nice and smells nice too. If you wanted to, you could use the lavender scented baby lotion and that would be quite nice. Also, you could use the cocoa scented Vaseline for a different smell too. I like the regular baby smell, so I may stick with that. Each batch makes about 4 cups, so you will have plenty if you want to share. This would make a great Valentine's Day gift for the special folks in your life too!

Well, I am off. Time to go to bed... we have a full week of school this week, so I need to rest up! I hope y'all have a great Monday! I will try and pop back on tomorrow and show you some of my "thrifty" finds. I found some good ones!

Tootles!
:) JKP

No comments: