Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Soup's On!!!!!!

Hey Y'all!

Well, this semi fall weather we are having has my tummy craving some yummy Butternut Squash Soup. Last year, I fell in LOVE with the Butternut Squash Soup at Atlanta Bread Company, but they haven't started serving it yet this year. So using the magic of the Internets... I, of course, found a Paula Deen recipe to adapt! So far I have made this soup twice, and it has been yummy both times! Also, it is cheaper to make than to run to the Atlanta Bread Company every night!

For this recipe you will need the following:



1 Butternut Squash that is at least 2 pounds. The second time I made this soup, I got smart and got the pre-cut version at Costco! If you don't have the pre-cut option, skin the squash and cut it into 1 inch cubes
3 cans of Chicken Broth
2 full size carrots cut up.. all I had at the time were the mini ones
Dash of salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg
2 teaspoons of butter
1/2 cup of whipping cream, you can use light or even milk if you prefer




Bring the squash, carrots and chicken broth to a boil on the stove. Let it simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes, stirring it occasionally.



After simmering, add 2 teaspoons of butter. I used margarine. Also add your dash of nutmeg, cinnamon and salt and pepper. I also added a pinch of sugar too! Then ladle spoonfuls into your blender and select the puree option.



After you blend your first half, add a couple of tablespoons of the soup mixture to your waiting cream. That way, when you whip in the cream at the end, it won't curdle.



When you are completely done with the blending, whip in your cream.



Add a dollop of sour cream and some warm french bead... and yumo!!!!!!



I freeze the remaining soup. Believe it or not, the soup is actually BETTER the day after you make it! I promise, you will get addicted to this soup!

Enjoy!
:) JKP

No comments: