Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spaghetti Casserole... Get in My Belly!

Hey Y'all!

Wow. I have missed the blog! School has been keeping me very busy and on top of it, I am exhausted. My iron level is really low, so I have started on some super duper vitamins and supplements. I have a condition that causes my iron to run really low anyway, but the Crohn's doesn't help. It should take a few weeks, but hopefully I will have lots of energy soon! Most days I make it home from school, walk and play with Pitty Pat and then it is to the sofa I go.

Also, Mom came and visited me last weekend! It was the first time she has visited us since February when I had to get Mitzi Mazda. We had a great weekend of shopping, playing with Pitty Pat and eating out! We even (well, I say we... Mom and her friend Tom) worked some magic on my yard too! Bushes were cut back, the grass was edged and my flower beds were filled with mulch and they are now even surrounded by fancy bricks! My yard looks SO good! I know my neighbors are relieved. I just haven't had much energy to get out and do those kinds of things. So YAY for a nice yard and not being the sketchy yard of the neighborhood!

I also finally started cooking again this week! While Mom was here, she picked up Taste of Home's new cookbook... Fall Freezer Meals. Y'all. I want to cook and eat every recipe in this booklet! You should be able to find it at your grocery store or bookstore. It is worth it! This week I made a Spaghetti Casserole that I have literally eaten off of all week. And. Some of it was SUPPOSED to make it into the freezer. It didn't.
So here ya go!

And let me just say before I get into this recipe.... I am a child of the 70's. That was when everything my Mom seemed to cook had cream of mushroom soup in it. I was not a fan of the cream of mushroom soup. In fact, until this recipe, I actually avoided it in foods  if I could help it. But, after eating this casserole.... cream of mushroom is now yummy. In my tummy!

To make this spaghetti casserole you will need..
1/2 package of angel hair pasta
1 pound of ground beef
1/2 of a jar of spaghetti sauce
1 can of tomato sauce
1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 cup of shredded Colby-Monterrey Jack Cheese
*All ingredients can be doubled to make two casseroles at once. One can be baked and the other frozen to bake later. I only made one because I wasn't sure how I would like the cream of mushroom soup.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
To start, fix noodles as directed on the package. Also, brown meat and drain.

Here's a tip... once the noodles are finished cooking... leave them in the water and drain them right before you start your noodle layers. It will make them easier to use and they won't clump on you!

After the meat is browned, add 1/2 a jar of spaghetti sauce and 1 can of tomato sauce to the meat. Mix well.


Then combine 1/2 cup of sour cream to 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup.



Next, it is time to start you layers. Using an 8 by 8 dish, start with a layer half of the meat sauce on the bottom. Then follow with half of the pasta, half of the soup and sour cream mixture and then finally a layer of cheese. Repeat the layers once more topping with cheese.






Cover the dish with tinfoil and place in a 350 degree oven. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes. I took the tinfoil off for the last 10 minutes to make it golden and bubbly.






I served mine with a salad. If you added some garlic bread it would be extra yummy!


Enjoy! I am off to a back to school party. See y'all tomorrow!
:) JKP

No comments: