Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Oh My Golly... Tamale Pie!

Hey Y'all!

Well, this is a long overdue cooking post! I have been so busy at school, that most of my nights have been spent knitting to get to my happy place! And... since the latest debit card debacle... AND NO my money has not been returned yet.. I am kind of saving my cash reserves, so I haven't made a trip to the store to cook up anything yummy this week. But, never fear.. I have plenty of recipes in reserve!

So let's get to it!
Today I bring you.. Oh My Golly... Black Bean Tamale Pie! And it is sooo easy.... and sooo good! Here's what you are going to need....

1/2 pound of ground beef
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup of salsa... I used a medium heat
1 package (8 1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix. I went for the sweet stuff! I am not a fan of regular cornbread. I prefer it sweet! You can use what you prefer!
1/4 cup of milk
1 egg
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese... divided
Go ahead and set your oven to 375 degrees.


Begin by cooking the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat. Stir in the black beans and salsa. Set this mixture aside. AND.. a funny thing happened to me when I opened my can of black beans. My beans were not black! They were red beans! Oh well. I used them any way. Although, I did think that I might end up on an episode of House. :)





Next, in a large bowl combine the muffin/cornbread mix, milk, egg and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Pour this mixture into a greased 9 inch pie plate and bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes.




Carefully spoon the beef mixture over the cornbread crust leaving about a 1/2 inch edge. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over the pie. Bake for 1 to 2 minutes longer until the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and enjoy a full belly! :)




Whew! Alrighty peeps. I am off to bed. I have early morning duty tomorrow, which means a 5:15 am wake up call for me and the PittyPadster. Don't forget... Brad Meltzer's Decoded has a new season and it is airing on Wednesday's at 10 pm on the History Channel. You need to watch this show!!! The conspiracy theorist in you WANTS to watch this show!

Tootles!
JKP

No comments: