Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Sunday Plate - Slow Cooker Pulled Barbecue Chicken

Hey Y'all!!

Well, if you are from anywhere in the south, you know that Sunday lunch is a big deal. It used to be that Wednesday night supper was a big deal too. It is the two nights of the week that your entire family gathered together for a HUGE meal. Sunday and Wednesday's are both big church nights down here, so I guess that's how it all got started. Now I don't think many families gather together for even one big meal anymore, not to mention gathering once a week.  It's kind of sad.

Anyhoo, this past Sunday I decided to try a new recipe. There is nothing I love more in the summer than barbecue. And maybe watermelon. And blueberries. Yup. Last week I actually made barbecue chicken, so this week I thought I would make some pulled barbecue chicken in the crockpot. And y'all know my deep and real love for my crockpot. And, I am so happy I made this chicken!

Here's what you will need. Also, before I start, I found this recipe in All For You magazine. Holla!

24 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast (they were in my fridge)
3/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce ( I love Sticky Fingers, but I had to use what I had on hand)
1/4 cup of Zesty Italian dressing
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 Tbsp chicken broth

Start by placing your chicken in the crockpot. In a bowl mix together the barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.



Then pour this sauce over the chicken. Replace the cover and let the chicken cook on low in the crockpot for 5 hours.




WARNING: Your  house is going to smell DIVINE!!!!!!

After 5 hours, take the chicken out of the crockpot and place on a plate. While chicken is resting, mix cornstarch and chicken broth in a small bowl. Combine this mixture with the sauce already in the crockpot. This is a thickening agent. Stir both sauces together well. Replace cover and let this sauce cook for 5 to 10 minutes. It will be thick!



While the sauce is thickening in the crockpot, place your chicken on a cutting board or mat. Shred the chicken breasts into thin pieces. This is really easy because the chicken is really tender from cooking in the crockpot. p.s. I have a cutting board, but Pitty Pat HATES it! I have these fantastic mats from Pampered Chef that are awesome!

Then place the shredded chicken in the warm and thick sauce in the crockpot. Mix all ingredients well. Continue to let the chicken cook on low for another 45 minutes. While it was cooking, I boiled up some corn and made some beans.

After 45 minutes, place the chicken on a warm bun. Add your other additions to your meal. Take a picture with your phone and send it to all of your friends. Brag about your Sunday Plate!

IT IS SOOO GOOOOOOODDDD!!!

Now, before you eat it ALL, make sure you save 1 cup of the barbecue. That's right folks, we are going to make another dish with it! Stay tuned for Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas.... They will be up tomorrow!

Enjoy!
:) JKP 

1 comment:

Dana M. said...

Looks yummy! I'm trying this next week! Thanks for sharing! :)