Friday, June 17, 2011

Yummy, Yummy, Chicken in My Tummy!

Hey Y'all!

Well, most of y'all know I love to cook. I love to read blogs about cooking, collect yummy recipes from magazines and websites, and of course watch The Food Network. One of the blogs that I read everyday is The Pioneer Woman. Ree has a great site and she posts yummy recipes almost every day. I printed a few out over the past few months with intentions of getting to them this summer. While I was visiting my Mom last weekend, we visited the farmer's market that is right down from her house. We left with fresh corn, squash, butterbeans, cantaloupe and watermelon. We even left with some yummy blueberry desert! I knew that only one main dish could do all of these yummy, fresh veggies justice. Barbecue chicken! Luckily, Ree posted a great barbecue chicken recipe back in April. I used this recipe for a good basis. I have never made barbecue chicken before! Ree makes her own barbecue sauce, but for the sake of time and a hungry tummy, I just went with some Honey sauce from Kraft. Yes, I know. And I call myself a cook! I plan to make my own sauce soon, but y'all. The Kraft was on sale for 99 cents!!!!

You want to start with some chicken drumsticks. The weekend I happened to make this Bilo was having a sale on chicken drums. So for 14 drums we paid about $4!

You want to make sure you have a roasting pan. If you are like my Mom and only had part of one, take a trip to your local Big Lots. You will find what you need!

Start by taking out as many legs as you think you will need. For our dinner, since it was just me and Mom, I took out six legs. I put the rest in ziplocs to freeze and use later. And, no Pitty Pat did not get any table scraps!

You want to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Y'all. I live in the south. It was hot and muggy on this day. I was not going to slave over a grill!!! It can be done, but why torture yourself???

I lightly salted and peppered my legs. Then put them in the oven for about 25 minutes.


After about 25 minutes, cut on your broiler for about 5 to 7 minutes. This will give the chicken skin a golden brown color. And also, make it a wee bit crispy!
After broiling, take out your chicken. Go ahead and cut down the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl place your intended barbecue sauce. With tongs, dip each leg in the sauce. Let it really get covered in sauce. YUM.


Place the sauce covered legs back onto the baking pan. I went ahead and cooked my legs for about 8 more minutes. Yes, I know. But y'all, I have a sensitive tummy and I don't like pink chicken meat!! When you feel your chicken is done, remove it from the oven. Take the remaining sauce, that you did not dip the chicken in, and brush it over the finished chicken. Let your chicken sit for about 5 minutes while you fix your plate.



This was a fantastic meal! We had plenty of left overs and the chicken was great the next day too! I can't wait to try this with homemade sauce, but the bottle worked well too. This would be a great meal if it was too hot or too rainy to use the grill. And it was nice to have time to do other things and not man the grill! :)

I have another barbecue chicken recipe that I am going to try next week. This one is made in the crockpot. I will let y'all know how that one goes!

I will probably be MIA this weekend... I have my 20th!!!! High School Reunion tomorrow night! Tonight I am going to a dinner with all of my best friends from high school. Some I have seen through the years, others I haven't. I am looking forward to catching up with everyone! Keep an eye on my Twitter feed, that will give you the scoop!
See ya soon!
:) JKP

No comments: