Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crock Pot Lovin'

Hey Y'all,

Well, summer is in the air!  I am so looking forward to the days of reading trashy novels on the beach, having no where in particular to be and sleeping late. 33 more days folks!

Tonight I was wishing for chicken on the grill and a yummy dessert. Well, I made the dessert part and had to forgo the chicken because it would have taken way to long to thaw! I came across this recipe for Crock Pot Blueberry Cobbler a little while ago. This is the second time that I have made it and I really like it. When I cook with fruit, I think you should taste the fruit, not the sugar you add to the fruit. I really like the way this cobbler comes out because you can really taste the blueberries and the "cobbler" part is sweet without making all of  your teeth fall out. :) I am sure you Splenda fans out there can come up with a way to make this with Splenda, but with my sensitive tummy I can't use it and have to go for the REAL thing! So here's what you need....

Well, of course a crock pot. I have 3 different sizes. I use my medium size one because this cobbler makes about 4 servings. You can double and triple this recipe so you can have enough for a family.
Also, you will need....

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar, divided (1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups blueberries (or berry of your choice) (Costco had some great blueberries this week!)
1/4 cup water

Lightly grease crockpot with butter. In a bowl, combine flour, half of the divided sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Pour and mix into the dry ingredients until moistened. Place batter in crock pot. *I have been using crockpot liners when I cook this. Less clean up later!


In a saucepan, mix together blueberries, water and the other half of the divided sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
 
Pour over batter in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Uncover and let set for 30 minutes before eating.





You can add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. YUM!

Whew! I am also on a knitting deadline as I type. We are throwing a baby shower for a teacher on my team who is expecting her first baby in a few weeks. So... I have a sweater on the needles. At this point, I don't know if it will be ready by Thursday, but I am working as fast as I can!
 
                                      
Well let me run. Kate Gosslin is in the bottom 2 on Dancing With the Stars tonight. I SO HOPE SHE GETS KICKED OFF TONIGHT!!!!! Yes, I am hateful!
:) JKP

No comments: