Monday, July 11, 2011

I Pledge Allegiance To Blueberry Cobbler.........

Hey Y'all!

I have a serious weakness in the summer. No. It is not sweet tea, knitting, painting my toenails, watching summer TV, roadtrips or sitting on a beach. Wait. Maybe it is! Well, let's add one more item to that list! BLUEBERRIES. Everywhere I go in the summer, if they sell blueberries, I have to buy them. I love to munch on blueberries throughout the day, put them on my cereal, and add them to my ice cream. But, I also LOVE to bake with them too! And on the 4th of July (one of my FAVORITE holidays, besides Halloween) I was faced with a blueberry coup. They were taking over my fridge. I knew I needed to fight back, and a cobbler was just the ticket!

First, you need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Then you need to rinse two cups of blueberries. Pick off any stems that are left on the berries. Drain them and dry them. Place them in a mixing bowl and then add about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. After that, add 1/2 cup of sugar. You can add more if you feel your berries aren't sweet enough, but 1/2 cup of sugar is alot for me! Next, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix all of these items together and then let the berries hang out for a while.


In a bowl or food processor add one cup of all purpose flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of oats (oatmeal... I used slow cooking oats, but use what you have on hand), a pinch of salt and 3/4 ths of a stick of butter sliced into pieces. Mix the first few ingredients together, then add the butter slices. Using a fork and a knife, cut in the butter with the rest of your ingredients. If you have a pastry cutter, you can use that too. Also, if you have a food processor you can mix this together in that. I have one, I was just too lazy to haul it out. Your object is to have the "crumble" resemble sand with tiny pebbles.

Add the blueberries into a pie plate or baking dish. Add the topping on top of the berries. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the berries are bubbly.

Before the oven.....

AFTER!!!

You can spoon this out onto plates and serve it warm with your favorite ice cream or whipped cream. It is HEAVEN ON EARTH!



Also, this is a generic cobbler recipe. You can add any fruit and this will work. I am just obsessed with blueberries at the moment. Mmmmmm.... mmmmm... good! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tootles!
JKP

No comments: