Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Ice Cream Diaries... Part 2 Mama Mia Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Hey Y'all!

Well, I made it through my colonoscopy! Things are good and I don't have to go through that for another 3 years! Whooo, hoooo! I have pictures... BUT... they will not make an appearance anywhere on the Internet!!!

I headed down to Mom's house last Friday. We took a short trip to Savannah on Saturday, where I got to visit Joann Fabrics! Their Simplicity patterns were on sale for $1.99! I also picked up some fabric and other sewing essentials. We also wandered over to the mall and picked up some back to school clothes from Belk. I have my first day of school outfit ready to go! Sunday was spent, well. Y'all probably know how Sunday was spent! I felt pretty good after my colonoscopy on Monday, so we did take a trip to Hancock Fabrics. I picked up some more fabric to make Nook and Ipad covers. I can't wait to get started on those this week!

But, sadly, Summer is slowly coming to an end. I am actually going in to school tomorrow to work on my room for just a bit. I don't think I am going to have a lot of time to work in my room before open house, and I would much rather go ahead and get it done instead of stressing about it! Besides, it is WAY too hot to be hanging out on the beach right now. :)

If you are like me and trying to cram as much summer as you can in right now... I thought I would share with you my absolute favorite ice cream recipe from this summer. Mama Mia Mint Chocolate Chip. It turned out great and I am still eating on a batch in my freezer. In fact, I use this base of milk, cream and sugar as a base for all of my other ice cream experiments. It produces a rich and creamy ice cream base. You can't go wrong with it. And it freezes like soft serve. Sometimes, I have found, that if you use too much heavy cream, your ice cream will freeze and it will turn out chalky. Yuck.

Anyhoo... this is what you will need to make Mama Mia Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. (Mama Mia is said with a heavy Italian accent. Touch your fingers to your lips. It is that good!)

1 cup of whole milk
2 cups of heavy cream
3/4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon of mint extract

To start, combine 1 cup of whole milk and 3/4 cup of sugar in a bowl. Once mixed, add 2 cups of heavy cream.



Add 1 teaspoon of mint extract. You can add more, but the mint extract is strong. And, you don't want to be all Shamrock Shake. Also, at this point before you add the mixture to the ice cream maker, you can add a few drops of green food coloring. But that was too weird for me! Put the mini chocolate chips off to the side, you will add those in during the last 5 minutes of the ice cream churning process.




Add the mixture into the frozen canister and run the ice cream maker for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the 1/2 cup to 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. Yes, I added 1 cup!





Ready for the freezer!


So goooooood! You must go and make some now!!!! It is so easy. :)

Alrighty! I am off to watch Royal Pains and my new favorite show.. Necessary Roughness!

Tootles!
:) JKP 

No comments: