Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Going Out on a Limb....

Hey Y'all!

Sorry for the long pause between posts, but I did warn you! Getting back into the swing of things has been tough. I am finally back into the school routine.. although my 5:30 wake up call has been put on snooze until 6 a.m. these days! I was so cozy this morning, I just couldn't get out of bed. However, it was trash day, so Pitty Pat started to really bark at the trash truck at 6. I didn't have a choice, I had to face my day! :)

I didn't really set any New Year's resolutions this year, but I did get in my mind something I have wanted to work on for a while. I may not seem like it, but I am very afraid to try new things. I like the status quo and I love a good routine. Sometimes, I find myself thinking about trying something different, but the fear of the unknown usually stops me. So as a more or less goal for this year, I decided that I was going to be a little bit more open and try new things. Even if it made me uncomfortable or if it shook up the routine. Sometimes good things can come of that!

And, two things have!

The first happened on Christmas Eve. Y'all know me. I like to be laid back and wear my jeans and flip flops. Since moving back home to Myrtle Beach I really haven't been happy with the church I occasionally attended. Ahem. More like just Christmas and Easter. Most of my Sunday's have been spent on the beach. I feel like when you go to church you should be happy you're there, it is not something that you should check off of your to do list. Also, I feel like you should learn something or at least hear a message that will make you feel good all week. I will also be the first to let you know that since my best friend Joy died, I have really struggled with faith and going to church. I remember watching the movie Soul Surfer not long ago and they had a scene of a church service taking place on a beach. I thought to myself... now that is a church for me! Well, to make a long story short and add in a little divine intervention, I have found a great little church that I have been attending since Christmas. It is my kind of church. It's very casual and you get to sing a lot. That's important to me, I like to sing, but I am not good at it. So church is where I get to sing! :) And, my priest is like Jimmy Buffett. Bonus all around. :) It is an Episcopal church, so I am going back to my roots a little bit. I like it and I look forward to going on Sundays. Also, they have lunch after the service, so you get to visit with folks a bit. I like that too. :)

The other thing that I decided to do was attend a Zumba class. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but again, I was too afraid too, or didn't want to mess up my weekly routine. I tried it tonight and I am so HOOKED! It was so much fun, it didn't even seem like exercise. I am looking forward to taking more classes. I felt so good after the class and it really helped me release some stress. I had a few friends who went with me tonight, so that made it a wee bit easier. Now, I won't think twice about going.

So that is what I have been up to. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but for me those are major steps. It gets me out of my house a little more and I get to meet some new people.

So, what do you want to do to step out of the box a wee bit? Baby steps!

Tootles!
:) JKP

No comments: