Monday, December 19, 2011

Popcorn Cake!

Hey Y'all!

Well, there has been a FLURRY of holiday activity at my house over this past weekend. I had a scarf I had to finish knitting up for my granddaddy, goodies to make for a goodie exchange at school today, and a munchie to make for munchie day today too! Throw in there a quick road trip to Lake City yesterday for our family Christmas get together and two more school days. And... on top of it.. my stomach has decided to throw a MAJOR wrench into things. I am not sure if this is a virus or my Crohn's making itself known, but whatever it is.. IT IS NOT NICE!!!

This is the first year that I have actually done the goodie exchange at school. I thought it would be a great way to get into the spirit of the season and have some wonderful goodies on hand throughout the Christmas holiday! I will post that recipe tomorrow.... The one I am going to post today is the munchie I brought for Munchie Day... Popcorn Cake!  My main ingredient for both goodies was..... POPCORN! Which, happens to be a no-no for me right now!

If you need something quick to bring to a holiday party, with little or no fuss... this is it! I found both of these recipes while hunting on Pinterest one night. If you want to lose a few years of your life, join Pinterest!

To make a Popcorn Cake you will need....


2 bags of popped microwave popcorn (sift through the popped corn and toss out any unpopped  
   kernels. No trips to the dentist over Christmas!
2 cups of M and M's (I used red and green to be festive)
2 cups of pretzels (broken, not crushed)
1 stick of butter
1 bag of 16oz marshmallows
A bundt pan (We have a BIG joke about this in my family... if  you have ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding.. you will get it!)

Combine the first three ingredients into a large bowl.


Then melt one stick of butter on LOW heat. When the butter is melted, add the bag of marshmallows.



 Make sure you are on LOW heat. Marshmallows burn very easily. And, don't forget to STIR!


Just about perfect!


Now, drizzle the melted butter and marshmallow goodness over the popcorn, pretzel and M and M mixture. Mix well with a spoon. It is WARM.


Transfer the mix to a bundt pan and press down so that it forms against the pan. Let it sit in the bundt pan for about and hour. It will still be gooey.


Run a knife along the inside to loosen the "cake" a bit. Then flip it over onto a plate. I let mine sit out for a few hours more so it would solidify.

Before you serve it, cut into "cake" pieces. Enjoy! This is the perfect mixture of salty and sweet and a great crowd pleaser!




I'll be back soon with my White Chocolate Popcorn recipe. OMG. GOOD! Now, y'all say a prayer for me! Tomorrow is the last day of school before Christmas break!!!

Tootles!
:) JKP

No comments: