Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Scarf For My Granddaddy

Hey Y'all!

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter.. all you heard about this past weekend was a scarf that I was knitting up for my Granddaddy Abe. Back in October when all of the holiday knitting magazines were coming out, I got it into my head that I wanted to knit my Grandaddy a scarf. I found a pattern, but couldn't find the yarn. I ended up trolling the Lion Brand website one night before bed last week, and I found a quick knit, thick scarf that would be perfect for him!

So with needles in my hand I got off to a good start Wednesday night. But by Saturday afternoon, this was all I had!


So I found a good Christmas movie on TV, had a snack, and knitted into the deep dark night. Well. For three hours anyway! At the end I had a five foot scarf made of stockinette stitch with a garter stitch border. I washed it up, blocked it, and prayed it would be dry in time to give my grandaddy at our annual family Christmas lunch on Sunday.


And the verdict.........


HE LOVED IT! The look on his face when he opened the bag made all of the knitting hours worth it. He was so excited that I made it for him! My mom bought him some new hats that matched the scarf, so he is quite the man about town right now!

Happy Thomy's!!!

The pattern is a free one from Lion Brand. It is called The Basic Scarf and it is a free pattern if you join Lion Brand. com. I used two skeins of Lion Brand's Hometown USA in the color Cincinnati. I used size 15 needles and I am a very loose knitter.  The whole scarf will take you about 3 and a half hours to knit up.

I hope you can make someone's holiday this year by making something from the heart!!!
Tootles!
:) JKP

No comments: