Friday, April 10, 2009

It's Almost Easter, and That Can Mean Only One Thing... EASTER BUNNY CAKE!

Hey Y'all and Happy Almost Easter!

I have many traditions that I have had for many years, but one of my favorites, is of course the Easter Bunny Cake. My Mom started making this for me when I was about 5 or so. To me, the Easter Bunny Cake means spring is here! Over the years, Mr. Easter Bunny Cake was not always present, depending on my tummy issues. Last year at this time since I was not really eating "solid" food, Mr. Easter Bunny Cake did not make an appearance. However, this year he is back!
To make your own Easter Bunny Cake you will need the following:



Basically any packaged cake mix will do (I use white because it is more "bunny" like), you will need some white icing, some jelly beans, other assorted candy, coconut for the "fur" and of course food coloring to add special "colorful" touches.


Bake the cake according to the directions on the package. I like to use the "white" cake because you only use egg whites, not whole eggs. Since cake is sometimes hard for my tummy to handle, the lighter the better.

When the cake is done, let it cool for at least an hour. You have some cutting and arranging to do. The cooler the cake, the better it holds up. One of the cakes is just for the face. The other one you will score with two half moon shapes. This makes up the bunny's bow tie and ears. While the cakes are cooling, take a large cookie sheet and cover it in tin foil. Then place one whole cake on the cookie sheet.


Then score the second cake like I have below. It's okay if it is not perfect, you are going to cover it in icing and coconut anyway!


Assemble the pieces together on the cookie sheet. Then begin to ice the cake in icing. This is fun!






The next part is where you really get to be creative! I use food coloring and some more frosting and tint it pink. I use this for the inside of the ears. Every year I change the candy that I use. Some years I use licorice for the whiskers, this year I used Good n' Plenty for a change. I use jelly beans for the eyes. This year I free handed the nose and mouth. All you have to do is put some icing in a Ziploc bag and snip a little bit off a corner. It works well in a pinch if you don't have a pastry bag to pipe icing.






For the last part, I sprinkle coconut all over the little guy. I don't add alot, I am not a big coconut fan. I also put a little bit of coconut in a Ziploc with some green food coloring. This makes the "grass" that surrounds the bunny. I add a little yellow to it as well. I like for my "grass" to be neon!





That's all there is to it! Don't worry if it's not perfect, the coconut and icing will hide any flaws!

I am off to finish some knitting and to watch Slumdog Millionaire....

Toodles!

:) JKP

No comments: