Saturday, April 25, 2009

Julia, Julia, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow?

Hey Y'all,


Well, things are returning to slightly normal status around here in Myrtle Beach. Luckily, my school was out of the "hot zone" so we didn't miss any days of school. Mom spent two nights here at my house because the roads to her house we all closed. When she arrived home yesterday, she had ash everywhere, but her house was safe. They have the fire about 85% contained now. They say it still may smolder for a while due to the weather. It was so surreal today. I ran to Lowes to pick up some soil for my garden. As I drove into the parking lot, the helicopters were crossing over to get to the Intercoastal Waterway with their "Bambi" buckets to get water and head to the fire. Really weird.


Anywhoo, last weekend I was very busy with the whole Grandaddy thing, but last Sunday I did find the time to finally get my "Garden 2009" planted. I am doing a combination garden this year. My veggies and fruits that grow on the vine are in the ground. Everything else is in a container. I really wanted a "full" ground garden this year, but with Grandaddy being sick and things being so crazy, I decided that this was better. If I could, I would tear up my whole front and back yard to make a garden. Yes, I am crazy that way. I can't grow flowers, but I love my veggie garden! This year I planted green and red peppers, banana peppers, strawberries, snap peas, green beans, okra, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe and of course, tomatoes. Check out how well everything is doing! Things are wet in these pics because I had just finished "miracle growing" them. I do that once a month. I just fill the container and use my hose and spray away.








Tonight while I was outside doing some garden "maintenance" I looked up and was eye to eye with a snake. He hissed at me, I screamed and then he slithered away. Good times!



Tomorrow, I get to go to the cutest baby in the world's christening. For Frankums christening gift, I wanted to knit him a little something, since I haven't so far. Yes, I am a bad friend. I found this cute pattern on Lion Brand that is called Bunny Blanket Buddy. Well, here's the finished one. Excuse the face, my embroidery skills are somewhat lacking these days! But, it is cute and I think Frankums can at least use the ears to cut his teeth on!

Oh well, I am off to bed. I am so tired! Between Grandaddy being sick and the threat of fire, I am exhausted.

Toodles!

:) JKP

No comments: